EdFlo Technical Architecture
- Architecture Overview
The EdFlo software platform is built on a Software as a Service architecture and delivered as an internet application accessible to employees from their web browser. The key characteristics of SaaS software, according to IDC, include:
- Activities that are managed from central locations rather than at each customer's site, enabling customers to access applications remotely via the Web. The EdFlo tuition assistance application is hosted, maintained, and updated by EdFlo. These continual enhancements are shared by all clients.
- Application delivery that typically is closer to a one-to-many model (single instance, multi-tenant architecture) than to a one-to-one model, including architecture, pricing, partnering, and management characteristics. Enhancements to the core functionality are shared by all EdFlo clients through our multi-tenant platform.
- Centralized feature updating, which obviates the need for downloadable patches and upgrades.
The EdFlo software platform has an integrated proprietary workflow engine that supports a 100% audit trail, status tracking via lookup, transaction processing (FYI review/approval/rejection), email notifications to the employees/managers/HR/administrators and other roles at every update and at the closure of a transaction. Clients have the ability to select from a standard set of best practice configurations of workflow for each transaction category. The employee can log into his/her account at any time to view all activity for requests that have been made through EdFlo.com.
- Data Management
Employee data, transaction data, workflow and audit data have been architected at the database and business logic layer, keeping the presentation layer simplified and optimal for maintenance and performance. This data is directly tied to the reporting/business analytics engine to enable audit reports.
- Case Management Overview
The EA tool has a proprietary, integrated case management component that is an online ticket handling system. The case management component leverages the workflow engine and audit engine allowing for exceptions, escalations, user notifications, admin notifications upon progress on the case, and view is based on role. The case management escalation component allows seamless transfer and assignment of cases between the process support team, and the tech support team. The customer is notified at every update and at closure of the task. The client can view all activity for their tickets online, and can open and reopen any ticket until they are satisfied with the resolution. A common client request is a dashboard summary of Help desk tickets to the client.
- Imaging Overview
EdFlo has a custom digitization component that enables users to fax documents which are converted into a PDF format and automatically mapped to the educational assistance transaction using a bar code that ties to the transaction ID. The software also allows direct document upload through the employee browser. The documentation is stored on the data layer and a digitized version of all documentation is kept for a transaction that can be reviewed for processing and audit purposes.
- Software Layers
The EA system can be accessed via the Internet using a standard internet browser as the interface so no software is required on the client side.
- Presentation Framework Layer: This layer allows for configuration of the look and feel of the software to conform to the client's requirements.
- Business Logic and Workflow Framework: This framework centralizes the coupling of modules for extensive re-use of functionality already created. For emailing users, we have predesigned mail functions that are called in each transaction, and are reusable for any new functionality addition.
- Data Framework: This framework keeps client data segregated from other client organization data and supports the employee, transaction, workflow and case management data.
- Supported Browsers
All popular standards-compliant browsers are supported, including Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The tool is an internet facing Software as a Service application that has been architected and programmed to be compatible with all browser versions. The IT team reviews browser upgrades for the top 4 browsers IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome and has a planned roadmap of validation of the application to ensure compatibility for browser upgrades as published by the browser companies.